Dr. Danagoulian specializes in the field of nuclear security.  This is a broad field, which encompasses such areas as nuclear non-proliferation, nuclear forensics, technologies for verification of arms reduction treaties, safeguards of nuclear spent/fresh fuel, as well as cargo security and nuclear detection.  Aregs main interests include development of zero knowledge detectors for treaty verification purposes, and monochromatic tunable particle sources for cargo interrogation.

Areg has studied at the Yerevan’s #1 physics-mathematics high school named after academician Shahinian.  After his graduation in 1993, his family moved to the US.  Areg pursued his undergraduate studies in physics at MIT, and received Bachelor of Sciences degree in 1999.  This could make him Armenia’s first citizen who graduated from MIT.  Next he pursued his Ph.D. work in experimental nuclear physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).  His thesis work was titled "Measurements of Compton scattering on the proton at 2 - 6 GeV."  In 2006 Areg accepted a postdoctoral position at Los Alamos National Laboratory, where he performed experiments for the Lab’s stockpile stewardship program, studied cold neutron physics, and worked on nuclear security programs.

Since joining Passport Systems Inc. (Boston, MA) in 2009 as a senior scientist, Areg has lead the development of neutron detection applications, which are currently being fielded as part of a cargo inspection system.  He has lead the development of the Prompt Neutrons from Photofission (PNPF) system, which uses prompt neutrons from photofission to rapidly detect various actinides (such as uranium and plutonium) hidden in the container.  PNPF is capable of detecting 4kg of uranium hidden in dense cargoes in seconds, with 95% probability of detection and 5% false alarm rate.

Areg’s parents, Dr. Samuel Danagoulian and Dr. Svetlana Aroutiounian, are former scientific staff members of Yerevan Physics Institute.

We wish the best of luck to our compatriot in his new position.

AregAlessia