press release #51
Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
On May 3-4 of 2012 Armenian delegation: Nerses Yeritsyan, Deputy Chair of the Central Bank of Armenia and Chair of the Board of Trustees of A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL), Arman Khachatryan, CEO at National Competitiveness Foundation of Armenia, AANL Director Ashot Chilingarian, visited the Florov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions (FLNR) at Joint Institute of Nuclear Research in Dubna, 120 km from Moscow.
The outstanding achievements in the field of synthesis of superheavy elements in FLNR have been recognized by naming element 105 of the Mendeleev Periodic Table as "DUBNIUM'' (Db), and element 114 - as ''Florovium'' (Fl). Academician G.N.Flerov founded LNR in 1957 and directed it more than 30 years, Academician Yu.Ts.Oganessian was in charge of the Laboratory from 1989 till 1996. At present he is scientific leader of the Florov Laboratory and Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) of A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory. In 1997, Prof. M.G. Itkis was elected Director of the Laboratory, since 2007 Prof. S.N. Dmitriev is FLNR Director. In more than 50 years the main directions of FLNR were:
- Synthesis of new nuclei and study of nuclear properties and heavy-ion reaction mechanisms;
- Development and construction of cyclotron complexes for producing intense beams of heavy ions of stable and radioactive isotopes;
- Radiation effects and modification of materials, various applications of heavy ion beams for solving applied problems.
High qualified and consistent scientific management; very concentrated and focused research topics and continuous interest to applications are the key elements of the FLNR successes. Among new FLNR projects are construction of the superheavy element factory DC-280 for the production and research of new synthesized elements and Cyclotron complex DC-110 for the mass production of new types of membranes for technological applications, medicine and biology.
During intense 2-day meetings with Yuri Oganissian and Sergei Dmitriev presented rich experience of the FLNR to the Armenian delegation. The Armenian delegation presented recent developments and discussed and scrutinized future directions of the AANL with the SAB Chair. The AANL is in the formation period and the research program of the AANL in the traditional directions as high-energy physics, cosmic ray physics, experiments on electron synchrotron should be modified and enlarged by new scientific directions and applied programs. Visit to Dubna helped clarifying major directions of AANL new developments, especially in the emerging field of nuclear medicine at the AANL.
Figure 1. N.Yeritsyan, A.Khachatryan, Y.Oganissian and S.Dmitriev (from left to right) in the building of the DC-72 cyclotron complex
last 10 press releases:
- Armenia become member of SCOSTEP!
- A.Alikhanyan national lab purchase high purity germanium gamma-detector for nuclear physics research and isotope production
- KHEBR laser technological complex, which is unique with its power is launched in AANL
- Ground Breaking ceremony of Nuclear Medecine Center, October 30, 2012
- Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
- National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan young scientist Artyom Hovhanisyan “Haykyan” award-winner.
- The prime minister visited the National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan
- Center for Cosmology and Astrophysics is established in A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL)
- The workshop “Low dimensional physics and gauge principles”
- Launching of the detector in Yerevan