press release #45
Dr. Gerald Fishman, Astrophysicist at NASAs Marshall Center, Received 2011 Shaw Prize in Astronomy, also named as “Asian Nobel Prize”.
Dr. Gerald J. Fishman, astrophysicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., and very good friend of CRD received the 2011 Shaw Prize in Astronomy.
Fishman is being recognized for his leadership in research that has shed new light on the space phenomena known as gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) -- the brightest, most explosive events known to occur in the universe. He shares the award with Dr. Enrico Costa, director of research at the Institute of Space Astrophysics and Cosmic Physics in Rome, who also performs space-borne research in the study of gamma-ray bursts.
The award ceremony was held in Hong Kong on Sept. 28. The medals were presented by the Honorable Chief Executive of Hong Kong, the equivalent of Governor of the HK Special District of China. Established in 2004 by Hong Kong media entrepreneur Sir Run Shaw, the Shaw Prize includes annual awards for achievement in the fields of astronomy; life sciences and medicine; and mathematics. The awards recognize individuals who have achieved significant breakthroughs in science and research with a positive, lasting impact on humankind.
Dr. Fishman research now is concentrated in the new exciting phenomena of Terrestrial Gamma flashes (TGFs), first discovered by the same BATSE satellite, which detects first afterglow of the GRBs. The Gamma ray bursts are detected now by new Gamma ray observatories (Fermi, RHESSI, AGILE) not from Supernovae explosions, but from thunderclouds! The surface analog of TGFs is TGEs (Thunderstorm Ground Enhancements), first detected and researched at Aragats. The TGF-TGE research is going on and will be presented at AGU (American Geophysical Society) fall meeting in San-Fransisco, this December.
Figure 1. Dr Gerald Fishman accepting the Shaw award from the Honorable Chief Executive of Hong Kong
last 10 press releases:
- Educational seminars for young scientists of AANL
- Armenia become member of SCOSTEP!
- A.Alikhanyan national lab purchase high purity germanium gamma-detector for nuclear physics research and isotope production
- KHEBR laser technological complex, which is unique with its power is launched in AANL
- Ground Breaking ceremony of Nuclear Medecine Center, October 30, 2012
- Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
- National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan young scientist Artyom Hovhanisyan “Haykyan” award-winner.
- The prime minister visited the National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan
- Center for Cosmology and Astrophysics is established in A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL)
- The workshop “Low dimensional physics and gauge principles”