press release #44
Registration of solar flares in the CRD Aragats station on September 6- 8
On September 6-8 four flares occurred on the Sun, and the flares originated Coronal Mass Ejections (MEs) inducing geomagnetic storms on the arrival to the Earth.
The first flare was invoked. From 1283 solar active region solar flare was unleashed at on September 6, at 01:50 UT, the GOES 15 satellite registered M5.3 category flare, according to X-ray flares scale (X class flares are the strongest ones, M-class 10 time less intensive). The same day, at 22:20 UT, the same active region induced the second flare of X2.1 category. On September 7, at 22:38 UT, the third strong flare was registered, now the X1,8 category. And finally on September 8, at 15:46 UT, M6 category flare was noticed. All the flares produced CMEs. At arrival to the Earth on September 9, at 11:24 UT the Aragats neutron monitor (ArNM) registered sharp decrease of particle flux- this phenomena is called Forbush decrease. It lasted till 13:14. Same day, at 16:00 UT strong geomagnetic storm occurred Kp-index increased till 7 (maximum value 9), which lasted till 18:20 UT. The disturbance of the magnetic field measured by planetary DST index decreased up to 75 nTl
Figure 1: The CME on September 08. 2011 at 15:46 UT
last 10 press releases:
- Armenia become member of SCOSTEP!
- A.Alikhanyan national lab purchase high purity germanium gamma-detector for nuclear physics research and isotope production
- KHEBR laser technological complex, which is unique with its power is launched in AANL
- Ground Breaking ceremony of Nuclear Medecine Center, October 30, 2012
- Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
- National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan young scientist Artyom Hovhanisyan “Haykyan” award-winner.
- The prime minister visited the National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan
- Center for Cosmology and Astrophysics is established in A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL)
- The workshop “Low dimensional physics and gauge principles”
- Launching of the detector in Yerevan