press release #38
The 24-th Solar Activity Cycle Produce the First Violent Blast: Now Ramping up Toward a Solar Maximum in 2013.
The sun unleashed its strongest solar flare in nearly five years on Feb 15 2011, sending a massive wave of charged particles toward Earth. The Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a huge cloud of charged particles, reached the Earth in approximately 3 days and triggered a sizeable geomagnetic storm and a deep Forbush decrease (Fd). Fd is a rapid decrease in the observed galactic cosmicray intensity following a CME arrival. Variety of the particle detectors of the Aragats Space Environmental Center (ASEC) in Armenia and the Space Environmental Viewing and Analysis Network (SEVAN), a worldwide network, registered the Fd in all details.
Figure 1. Pressure corrected time series of ASEC particle monitors
Figure 2. Pressure corrected time series of SEVAN particle monitors
Figure 1 shows the intensity variation of the neutral and charged particles measured on Mt. Aragats at 3200 m above sea level.
Figure 2 demonstrates the first results from the SEVAN detectors in Armenia, Bulgaria and Croatia, registering Fd simultaneously. The data from monitors located at different longitudes, latitudes and altitudes allows us to untangle solar-terrestrial connections and test simulations of fast solar wind interaction with the magnetosphere.
last 10 press releases:
- Armenia become member of SCOSTEP!
- A.Alikhanyan national lab purchase high purity germanium gamma-detector for nuclear physics research and isotope production
- KHEBR laser technological complex, which is unique with its power is launched in AANL
- Ground Breaking ceremony of Nuclear Medecine Center, October 30, 2012
- Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
- National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan young scientist Artyom Hovhanisyan “Haykyan” award-winner.
- The prime minister visited the National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan
- Center for Cosmology and Astrophysics is established in A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL)
- The workshop “Low dimensional physics and gauge principles”
- Launching of the detector in Yerevan