press release #29
New Limit on the Light Speed Isotropy
The possibility of using the Compton Edge approach
for high precision probing of the light speed isotropy was suggested by Gurzadyan
and Margarian in 1996 . The idea is to trace the stability of the lowest energy of the Compton scattered relativistic electrons on monochromatic laser photons at many very stable measurements covering the daily rotations of the Earth.
The parameters of the GRAAL beam-line at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF, Grenoble) appear to enable the performance of measurements with the required precision with respect to the apex of the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. This idea was discussed with ESRF team led by Bocquet in 1997, 1999 and 2005, then at mini-workshop organized by GRAAL PI Schaerf in Rome in 2007. The method first tested at GRAAL 1998-2002 measurements enabled to obtain the isotropy limit at 10-12 . Then after the dedicated upgrading of GRAAL facility measurements of 2008, the first preliminary results were discussed at Nor Amberd workshop in June 2009. The upgrading including the fast channel data acquisition system, enabled to draw a higher precision limit: 10-14 [3,4].
These measurements mark not only highest achieved precision for one-way light speed isotropy limits, instead of two-way ones at Michelson-Morley interferometers, but also the first direct test of Special Relativity at particle collisions.
Figure 1. A.Kashin, A.Margarian, C.Schaerf, V.Gurzadyan in Nor Amberd in 2009
 Gurzadyan V.G., Margarian A.T., Phys. Scripta, 53 (1996) 513.
 Gurzadyan V.G. et al, Mod. Phys. Lett. A 20 (2005) 19.
 Gurzadyan V.G.,V. Bellini, M. Beretta, J.-P. Bocquet, A. D'Angelo, R. Di Salvo, A. Fantini, D. Franco, G. Gervino, G. Giardina, F. Ghio, B. Girolami, A. Giusa, A. Kashin, H.G. Khachatryan, S. Knyazyan, A. Lapik, P. Levi Sandri, A. Lleres, F. Mammoliti, G. Mandaglio, M. Manganaro, A. Margarian, S. Mehrabyan, R. Messi, D. Moricciani, V. Nedorezov, D. Rebreyend, G. Russo, N. Rudnev, C. Schaerf, M.-L. Sperduto, M.-C.Sutera, A. Turinge, V. Vegna, in: Proceed. MG12 Meeting on General Relativity (Paris, July, 2009), World Sci. 2010; arXiv:1004.2867.
 Bocquet J.-P. ,… Gurzadyan V.G., Kashin A.L., Margarian A., … et al, Phys. Rev. Lett. (in press, 2010).
last 10 press releases:
- Educational seminars for young scientists of AANL
- Armenia become member of SCOSTEP!
- A.Alikhanyan national lab purchase high purity germanium gamma-detector for nuclear physics research and isotope production
- KHEBR laser technological complex, which is unique with its power is launched in AANL
- Ground Breaking ceremony of Nuclear Medecine Center, October 30, 2012
- Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
- National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan young scientist Artyom Hovhanisyan “Haykyan” award-winner.
- The prime minister visited the National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan
- Center for Cosmology and Astrophysics is established in A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL)
- The workshop “Low dimensional physics and gauge principles”