press release #26
The First Geomagnetic Effect of New 24th Solar Activity Cycle Detected at Aragats Space Environmental Center (ASEC)
The geomagnetic storm began at 08:55 UT on Monday, April 5, 2010. Space weather storm level reached Strong (G3) levels due to the Geomagnetic Storms Space Weather Scale. The source of the storming is an Earth-directed Coronal Mass Ejection associated with a weak solar flare that occurred in Active Region 1059 on April 3 at 08:54 UT. The event registered Kp = 7 on the 0-to-9 Kp index scale of magnetic disturbances.
Figure 1. The 2.5% count rate increase of the Nor Amberd neutron Monitor inverse correlated in time with the minimum of the geomagnetic field strength measured by the Nor Amberd magnetometer.
As we can see in the Figure during minimum of the geomagnetic field strength (measured by '' LEMI-018 magnetometer) additional Galactic Cosmic Rays enter the atmosphere producing some extra hadrons in interactions with terrestrial atmosphere. These secondary hadrons incident on Neutron Monitor enlarge the count rate by 2.5%.
A bit bigger peak was detected also by Aragats Neutron Monitor- the same type as the Nor Amberd one – 18 NM64. Other ASEC detectors are sensitive to higher energies of primary particles and decrease of the geomagnetic field did not change their count rate. The Neutron Monitors are sensitive to energies just above the cutoff rigidity; therefore decrease of cutoff rigidity leads to increase of count rate
last 10 press releases:
- Armenia become member of SCOSTEP!
- A.Alikhanyan national lab purchase high purity germanium gamma-detector for nuclear physics research and isotope production
- KHEBR laser technological complex, which is unique with its power is launched in AANL
- Ground Breaking ceremony of Nuclear Medecine Center, October 30, 2012
- Visit in Dubna, 3-4 May 2012
- National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan young scientist Artyom Hovhanisyan “Haykyan” award-winner.
- The prime minister visited the National Scientific laboratory after A. I.Alikhanyan
- Center for Cosmology and Astrophysics is established in A.Alikhanyan National Laboratory (AANL)
- The workshop “Low dimensional physics and gauge principles”
- Launching of the detector in Yerevan